Hymn 193Play music
1 While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,
The angel of the Lord came down,
And glory shone around.
2. 'Fear not', said he; for mighty dread
Had seized their troubled mind;
'Glad tidings of great joy I bring
To you and all mankind .
3. 'To you, in David's town, this day
Is born of David's line
A Saviour, who is Christ the Lord;
And this shall be the sign:
4. 'The heavenly Babe you there shall find
To human view displayed,
All meanly wrapped in swathing bands
And in a manger laid.'
5. Thus spake the seraph, and forthwith
Appeared a shining throng
Of angels praising God, who thus
Addressed their joyful song:
6. 'All glory be to God on high,
And in the earth be peace;
Goodwill to men from heav'n is come
And never more shall cease.'
Back to top
Hymn list--green book